A bespoke trip is also known as a tailor-made or private group tour. Whether you know exactly what you want and just need us to organise it, or if need some ideas, we can help you put something together. You choose the destination, duration, activities involved (e.g. trekking, community project, cycling, sightseeing etc.), type of accommodation and even how many meals are included. We will of course offer our expert guidance on the best options available, but ultimately it’s your trip so you decide what to do!
The very nature of a bespoke challenge is that it is tailored for you. We can offer any trip you like to virtually any overseas destination! One of the things which makes The Different Travel Company different is the fact that we are able to arrange for your trip or charity challenge to include some time assisting at or visiting a project in the destination country (if this is of interest).
We like to link these projects with the aims of a particular charity, company or group of individuals. For example, if you are a group of supporters of an animal charity and are particularly interested in trekking in Borneo we may be able to link that with a primate conservation project. Or if you are a health and social care teacher looking for a school trip for your students, we could link you with some of our fantastic projects in India. Of course, there is no requirement to include a project element so just get in touch and we can put together a trip for you that suits your time frame, departure dates, budget and itinerary. We offer competitive prices which are flexible depending on your requirements.
If you need some ideas to get you started, please have a browse on our website to see examples of bespoke trips we have arranged for other groups and charities.
For our bespoke challenges you only need to recruit 10 people for the trip to go ahead. As long as you are willing and able to actively promote the challenge with our support, you will have no problems reaching the minimum of 10 participants required.
Helping with a project is a great way to interact with the local community and learn the culture and customs of the people as well as making a difference to the lives of others. Getting involved at a project allows participants to see first hand the difference that can be made if people work together. And it’s a chance to give a little something back to the communities who welcome us so warmly.
Project work is also an opportunity to help a group bond as days spent at a project allows a team to get to know one another (if done prior to the physical activity – trek/cycle etc), or enjoy the final days of each other’s company before going home (if done after the physical activity). Another benefit for participants is where in certain destinations a group are taking on an extreme challenge, it allows the opportunity for rest or acclimatisation prior to the physical challenge or a chance to unwind if the project takes place after their challenge.
If you’re from a charity, it will also…
- mean we can tailor the project to match the aims of your charity, helping people at home learn more about your cause. It can also inspire your supporters to be able to give something back to a project which has the same values as the charity they support.
- avoid ‘free holiday’ syndrome, whereby participants find it hard to overcome the impression that their sponsors are simply paying for a free holiday.
- encourage local media interest which is often greater when there is a non-local angle on the story and can help fundraising participants increase potential sponsorship income.
If you, or your organisation have a link with a project overseas this can often be the ideal place to start. If not and you would like to include a project element, we have links with many local charities and NGOs throughout the world and can usually find one to suit your interests or requirements.
The projects we offer vary from country to country. They might include helping with local construction; refurbishment of a school, library or home for elderly people; teaching English to orphaned children; sharing job skills with isolated communities; conservation or rehabilitation of endangered wild animals; or planting an organic vegetable garden. Get in touch for specific ideas in your chosen destination.
All our pricing varies depending on the destination and the elements you would like to include in the itinerary. Our pricing is competitive and on a sliding scale from a minimum of only 10 participants depending upon the tour.
For a no-obligation quote please contact us with your ideas on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We don’t levy any charges or fees to provide you with a quote for a bespoke trip or when you confirm a trip with us. We offer you the best price we can for the trip you want on a sliding scale from 10+ passengers.
By not charging you any fees to work with us, we have an added incentive to make the trip work because if the trip is a success for you it is also a success for us!
There are plenty of companies which offer adventure travel trips and charity events, and you may have even worked or travelled with them in previous years. So what would be the benefit to you of arranging a trip with The Different Travel Company? Well, we believe there are several advantages:
- We are a small, dedicated and flexible company which offer a personal service and excellent support to our participants and charity partners.
- As an ATOL-bonded tour operator, you know you can trust our organisation and you are ATOL-protected abroad.
- All our staff are experienced travellers and have a passion for overseas adventures.
- Having the unique opportunity to help at community and environmental projects as well as taking on a physical challenge (see above for reasons why this is a great advantage).
- We offer advice on how to make your trip carbon neutral, which makes them ethical and sustainable.
- Where possible, we work with smaller local agents in our destinations to support local businesses and often use the same expert local guides year on year who have lots of experience with our groups.
- As well as being led by expert local guides, each trip is accompanied by a UK Different Travel Tour Manager who will ensure the trip operates as smoothly as possible.
- We offer a range of marketing support services for your challenge, and we aim to help you to make the challenge a success for you, for us, and for the local community.
- You will also have a dedicated account manager so you know who to turn to for advice and help with your trip.
There are several advantages to choosing a bespoke trip rather than an open challenge:
- We offer a free place for a group/charity representative in our costs on bespoke trips.
- You choose when, where, how long and what’s included on the challenge.
- Participants will all be from your organisation or supporting your charity and fundraising for a common cause. This gives them a great group bond and if you’re fundraising, can mean that sponsorship targets are exceeded because participants support each other in their fundraising efforts too.
- Participants are usually based in the same general location so are able to meet, get to know one another and train prior to departure which allows them to bond.
- During the trip the participants have the organisation/charity in common so it can be easy to motivate anyone who is having an ‘off day’ by reminding the group the cause that they are there supporting.
- We offer you a range of extra marketing support not available on our open challenges such as an information evening and a pre-departure presentation to help you recruit and support your participants.
- Like our open challenges there is no financial risk so by offering a bespoke challenge, you won’t be putting your organisation/charity in any financial risk.
Rest assured we will support you every step of the way. The usual process is:
- We agree on an itinerary, dates and costs. You confirm you would like to offer this to your supporters.
- We sign a letter of confirmation which outlines the above and our commitment to work together (financially risk free!).
- We produce support materials and help you decide on a minimum sponsorship for the trip (if fundraising)
- You promote the trip, with our assistance.
- Bookings come in with the registration fee and fundraising assistance from you for each participant begins.
- Once the minimum number of bookings is achieved (we only require a minimum of 10 participants), we invoice you for the group deposit. At this stage flights are held and you continue to promote the trip and recruit additional participants.
- The participants continue to raise money, with your support.
- 12 weeks before departure participants should have raised their minimum sponsorship target (or other deadlines as per your preference).
- 8 weeks before departure our invoice for the final tour costs is due. Participants continue to raise money up to, and after departure.
- The difference between the tour costs (payable to us) and the minimum sponsorship raised goes to the charity.
We offer a very flexible support package to meet your needs and the needs of your organisation/charity. At the very least we will provide you with print-ready marketing materials such as flyers, photographs, trip dossiers and copy for your website or newsletter if required. We also provide tips on how to effectively market the challenge and advice on how to convert enquiries to bookings. If you’re a charity, we will put your logo onto our charity partners page with some information about your charity, and this list will be available to people who would like to choose a charity to fundraise for if they aren’t already sure.
In addition we provide information evenings where we give an informative presentation about the experience to help increase your bookings. We also provide a pre-departure meeting which goes into detail about the trip, what to expect, what to pack and a general feel for the experience with your confirmed group. As we are a small flexible company, if there is anything you would like us to provide which we haven’t offered, we are open to suggestions and always willing to do our best to accommodate your requests.
We can also help with fundraising ideas and payment options for your participants, such as part self-funding, part sponsorship so you achieve as much sponsorship money as possible without piling on the pressure to your supporters.
As much as you like! The more details you provide, the quicker we can help create the perfect itinerary for you! Things to consider include:
- Your concept/idea/theme
- Your chosen destination
- Month of departure
- How challenging?
- Would you like a project?
- What is the group demographic (e.g. age/gender)?
- Have you done an overseas trek before?
- If yes, where and was it successful?
Our bespoke challenges can include all aspects of the tour from flights and accommodation to permits and guides. We offer a full pre-departure package which includes specialist advice on what participants need to take on the trip, advice on insurance and how to make the trip carbon neutral. We can also offer post-trip extension options for those who wish to extend their trip. As a licensed ATOL-bonded travel tour operator, you can rest assured that when you work with us, you’re protected too.
Hopefully you can find the answers to all your questions on our website, but if you think we’ve missed anything or you’re ready to get started on your bespoke trip, please contact us now!
- Contact us to discuss your ideas and we’ll get back to you with a quote.
- Once you’ve agreed on an itinerary, dates and costs, you confirm you would like to offer this to your supporters.
- We sign a letter of confirmation which outlines the above and our commitment to work together (financially risk free!).
- Your supporters confirm your places by completing our registration form and medical declaration along with paying their registration fee.
- Once a form and deposit is received we will send out a confirmation of receipt along with a trip dossier, discount voucher and training guide.
- When the minimum group size has been achieved, any flight seats required are held.
- You will be sent trip information documents at various points leading up to departure to pass onto your supporters including information about international flights (if relevant), visa requirements, suggested kit list etc as well as some useful hints and tips on how to get started with training. If you have decided on a physical challenge such as mountain trekking, we strongly recommend you begin your training at least 6 months prior to the date of departure of any trip.
- Your final documents including your flight e-tickets (if relevant) will be sent to you to pass onto your supporters approx. 2 weeks before the date of departure, by which time, they’ll no doubt be raring to go!
- Your group depart for the trip of a lifetime!