What we do
What We Do! The Different Travel Company is an ATOL-bonded tour operator that specialises in overseas charity challenges and adventure holidays. We work closely with many charities to provide exciting challenges for them to achieve their fundraising targets and to give their supporters a unique and memorable adventure overseas. We also run adventure holidays that do not require participants to fundraise for a charity – can simply trek to Everest Base Camp or take on the Camino de Santiago just for fun!
We pride ourselves on offering excellent, personal customer service and always strive to do our best. Since our creation in 2005, we have helped hundreds of charities and organisations raise money and their profile by offering their supporters unique ways to get involved.
From canoeing down the Zambezi to trekking in the Himalayas or exploring lost cities in Jordan or camping under the Saharan night sky to scaling Kilimanjaro or taking a dip with some wild water swimming – there really is something for everyone!
Why ‘Different’ Travel?
As our name suggests, we are a travel company with a difference. As well as offering the traditional charity challenge and adventure holiday such as climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, trekking the Inca Trail or cycling from Vietnam to Cambodia, many of our itineraries are combined with the opportunity for participants to get stuck into assisting at development projects alongside local people in host countries worldwide.
There are many benefits of a charity challenge or adventure holiday which includes community work or assisting at a project:
- If fundraising, it avoids ‘free holiday’ syndrome, whereby participants find it hard to overcome the impression that their sponsors are simply paying for a free holiday
- Local media interest is greater when there is a non-local angle on the story which can help fundraising participants increase potential sponsorship income
- The days spent at the project help the team get to know one another and bond if done prior to the physical activity (trek/cycle etc), or enjoy the final days of each other’s company before going home if done after the physical activity
- People like to feel that they are making a difference to the lives of others. Getting involved at a project allows participants to see first hand the difference that can be made if people work together.
- It is a great way to interact with the local community and learn the culture and customs of the people.
Who can join?
We welcome individuals, couples, families, friends, corporate groups, charity fundraisers, church groups and schools onto our charity challenges and adventure holidays. You should be 18 or above, unless you are 16 or 17 and accompanied by a responsible adult. Some of our challenges may be suitable for early teens so please contact us if you would like to check the suitability of a trip for your family.
What else do I need to know?
The vast majority of our charity challenges and adventure holidays include all aspects of the tour from flights and accommodation to permits and guides. We offer a full pre-departure package which includes specialist advice on what to pack for your trip, practical support such as visa tips and much more. We can also offer a range of post-trip extension options for those who wish to stay on and do some further exploring. As a licensed ATOL bonded travel tour operator, you can also rest assured that when you book with us, you’re protected.
We believe that our charity challenge events and adventure holidays offer people a real opportunity to experience, learn and contribute in ways which traditional holidays cannot. We believe that our challenges not only make a difference to the communities we visit through our responsible tourism ethos, but also make a difference to the people who travel with us who get more out of their trip because they have the opportunity to give something back.